I decided to go with winning her heart. That’s what I’ve been trying to do since the day I first met her, why give up now that I have help? I thought. So the first thing was to learn to stand my grounds and not do whatever she asked for.
While I was planning out my new strategy, a call came through. It was Naana, this time I didn’t cut the line and call her back, I picked.
– “Hello Jeff”
– “Hi, what’s up”
– “Cool… you?”
– “I’m great”
– “When coming, bring your math textbook so you can teach me something ok”
– “My math textbook? Why don’t you bring yours?” For the first time in my life, I denied her something she’s plainly asked. I usually anticipate her needs and give even before she asks, whether it will favor me or not.
– “Well, you know that book is heavy so I don’t want to carry it” she replied. At this point I felt like just saying ‘okay’ and bring the book along but I stood my grounds. It was so hard, trust me!
– “Ah! But your house is even closer than mine, and moreover you need it” I said. She was in shock!
– “You don’t worry I will bring it.”
– “okay, cool”
I ended the call, sat on my bed and wondered whether I’m going in the right direction or I’m losing her even more. I was determined to try out everything I had learnt from the website. It was great content.
* * *
Usually I would go straight to her, ask how she’s doing the moment I got to the school. But things had changed since that morning. I mean, she’s not my girlfriend, she doesn’t even love me. I got there, totally ignored her and went to play basketball with my friends since the classes hadn’t begun. It never did tho, the classes didn’t come off that day. That was such an opportunity to run to Naana and ask her to let me teach her but did I?? You guessed right, I didn’t. She finally came to me to tell me she wants us to start but she can see I’m having fun so it’s fine. I merely said ‘ok’ and continued playing.
We eventually left the place. I didn’t really make any effort to say good bye in a special way like I usually would. That afternoon when I got home I didn’t call her to tell her I’m home, I didn’t call her till evening. I just texted her good night when it was time for me to go to bed. She replied, and that was it for the day.
It was really hard for someone like me to behave that way. But deep down, I’m not that soft, I only happen to be too soft when I love someone. So I stood my ground. I began to check the number of times I call her; I made sure it wasn’t often.
I continued being stubborn and jerky. One day she asked me to come early so I can teach her like I do sometimes. I agreed, I mean I couldn’t say no just for the sake of being jerky so I agreed. I got to school quiet early, waited for her to come. She didn’t show up early till classes had almost begun. What would Jeff usually do? He would say “Oh don’t worry, coming early wasn’t so bad for me” but I didn’t say that.
To be continued…